Monday, January 12, 2009

Old Beauties Quiz (6) – Old Beauties @ Kuching

During my recent holidays in Kuching I visited a traditional market in Jalan Satok which was well-known for its local produce. We saw many interesting products.

This is the famous giant river prawn (udang galah) of Sarawak. I have actually eaten it many times before during my previous visits. It looks very impressive, with a huge head and can measure up to a foot in length. But actually it doesn’t taste all that great and is quite expensive with very little meat.
We also saw these fighting cocks, but thankfully did not witness any actually fighting.

But what caught my attention as usual were the old beauties. Here are 3 of them. Can you identify them? (I don’t know the answer to no. 3)


** Please note the above 2 photos are of the front and rear of the same car.





UPDATE (15 Jan 2009)

The first car, the white one is a Nissan Pulsar; at least that’s what we called it in Singapore. But it has another name called Langley which is the name shown on this car.

The second one, the yellow one is a Daihatsu Charmant. Not so popular in Singapore. So none of you gave correct answer. But I have seen a number of them in Ipoh.

I don’t know about the third one. But it definitely is not Morris Minor even though it looks British. Here’s another photo showing the rear.

17 comments:

alex said...

Hi Chun See,

The white car looks like a Nissan Pulsar N12 generation, produced between 82 to 86.

Icemoon said...

When will Chun See post old beauties like the Toyota AE86? Easier for youngsters this way .. lol

yg said...

guess, ok, not gasak buta.

1 datsun 100a
2 mitsubishi lancer
3 datsun bluebird (or should it be yellowbird)
4 hillman something

Lam Chun See said...

YG. I deliberately did not mention that the first 2 photos are of the same car (the white one). Anyway all your answers, except for no. 4 - the blue one, which I also don't know - are wrong.

I think Peter is holding back to let you guys have a go first before he gives us his answers. I hope the anonymous reader who gave detail answers to my earlier quizzes is reading this one.

Anonymous said...

white car - i think Datsun 120Y. Chun See always make photo so small, I need magnifying glass to see the screen

Your tiger prawns loke shiok! Reminds me of similar ones in Vietnam's Mekong Delta. Prawns used to roll into rice paper and dip into vinegar chilly sauce.

Anonymous said...

The white one is a Nissan Pulsar.
I think the yellow one is a nissan bluebird. But it also looks like an old corolla--around early 1980s.

Anonymous said...

First car is a Nissan something?
Second car - not sure
Car 3 is a Datsun 120Y
Car 4 is a MOrris minor

Tom said...

Tom said...
The small blue car, I think it is a Chapeau Concept, made in Japan.

Lam Chun See said...

I just updated this post.

Victor said...

Chun See, I think it is a 1981 Austin Mini Van.

I know because my first 2 cars were Minis - a 1972 1000cc Mini Clubman with Reg No. EB1738 which I owned in 1983 and a 1973 800cc Austin Mini with Reg No. EE2395 which I owned in 1984.

Anonymous said...

I know many people are superstitious about car numbers. Mayb chun see can come up with a blog article on "asupicious" car numbers.

My Mini car was EF 2141Y which when translated meant "Easy Day Dead Day" (roughly speaking).

Anonymous said...

The blue car certainly must have gone thru many coats of paints. Its "kilatness" seems artificial.

Lam Chun See said...

I think Victor is right. The two cars looked almost identical - the headlights, grill, indicators, hood ... even the colour. Thanks to Victor, we now have the answers to all 3 questions.

Anonymous said...

The first car was a Nissan Pulsar 5dr N12,made from 1982 to 1986,in Singapore it was only as 5dr 1.0DX.In Japan it was available in 3dr,5dr,4dr notchback & 2dr coupe known as EXA,engines for Japan are 1.3,1.5,1.5 turbo engines.The 3dr & 5dr were also sold as Langley while the 4dr notchback as Liberta Villa in Japan.The 3dr & 5dr were also made by Alfa Romeo in Italy & sold as Nissan Cherry Europe or Alfa Romeo Arna,powered by Alfa Romeo 1.2 & 1.5 Boxer engines.

The second car in yellow was a 2nd generation Daihatsu Charmant,based on 1979 Toyota Corolla AE/KE70series,rear drive layout.It was also used as a police car in Singapore.

The 3rd car is a Mini wagon.

David Phua
enzopks@yahoo.com.sg

Unknown said...

Yes the blue one is a Mini Austin, my dad has one in the early 1970s..

Patrick C said...

The Blue car definitely not Morris Minor. Cus I spent the first decade of my life zipping around in a Morris Minor where I always imaging I am traveling in a helicopter cus of its roundish shape compared with other more common boxy cars.

Kentsu Nakazato said...

before n12 model introdeuce, i was nissan langley/datsun 100a n11 model in 1980-81, not n10